2022 Mushroom Foraging - Pre-Season Tours (March)
- Duration: 3 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Oberon, NSW
- Product code: PFXVYU
More Choices in a COVID safe way for Mushroom Foraging Adventures 2022
Due to recent rainfall and general forest conditions, we have released early foraging dates.
Please keep in mind that early conditions can be variable and mushrooms may not always be plentiful before April. The nature of foraging is simply that ... foraging. Slow down, enjoy the forest, take your time and looking carefully. That is what foraging is all about. We think you'll love the experience.
Detour Adventures are proudly an official foraging partner of Oberon Visitor Information Centre and are proud to offer pre-season tours at a reduced rate for Guests who book during the month of March.
Equipment, clothing & instruction
We provide everything you need for a fantastic foraging experience. Please wear sturdy boots, bring a hat, camera and a smile. We'll handle the rest.
Pre-Season dates: Can't find what you want? contact us email@example.com or call 0419 777 950
*If your group is larger than the required minimum, please email us with details and we will do our best to accommodate your needs.
Please note: In response to requests for providing tours in a COVID safe way, we have reduced the number of Guests on a pre-season tour to groups of 3 x Guests allowing more spacing in the vehicle and restricted the bookings to private groups. No individual tickets will be sold this year.
The minimum morning tour booking charge is for 3 x Guests. If you have more than 3 x Guests in your group, please contact us by email for additional seat allocations and pricing.
We've extended the morning tour duration to allow our Guests to enjoy more time in the forest and this year, we've included morning tea. There's nothing quite like a cuppa & cake in the forest.
When the season is going well, sufficient mushrooms can be gathered in as little as 30 minutes as we go further into the forests away from crowds, vehicle dust and roadside foragers. There is nothing quite like the sight of the beautiful European mushrooms growing wild on the forest floor, far away from people, and road noise.
If you would like a private foraging tour on a day not listed, please give us a call or email. We'll do our best to help. firstname.lastname@example.org
Successful Foraging Tips
It's tempting to gather as many mushroom as possible while in the forest. Here's a few useful tips to help you get the most from your your foraging experience.
- Foraging Equipment. We provide you with boxes and a sanitised foraging knife for your tour with us. No need to bring anything.
- Take only what you can use. A few small boxes of mushrooms is all that most need to gather. We encourage foraging in moderation, taking what you can use within a few days of collection and leave what you can't personally use for others to enjoy.
- Bring a jacket. We go foraging high in the hills, at an altitude that is almost one third higher than the Blue Mountains. Weather can be changeable so be prepared.
- Don't bring large backpacks. There is limited space in the 4WD and you will be asked to leave large backpacks behind. Please bring personal water
- Sanitiser. We provide sanitiser in the 4WD but we strongly recommend bringing your own personal sanitiser.
- Hat, gloves and sunscreen. The best gloves for foraging are thin food prep gloves, rather than kitchen sink gloves or other bulky gloves.
- Bring your favourite camera. Foraging is not just about collecting mushrooms. The smells of the forest, the beautiful filtered light and the colourful displays of mushrooms, pine needles and and wildlife are great to capture on camera.
- Listen to your Guide. Your Guide is there to provide the best experience possible and will have some handy tips about your foraging techniques and mushroom safety.
4WD Foraging Adventure
This special 4WD Foraging adventure is a great experience for those wanting to get out and about, deep in the pine forests of Oberon. We depart from the Oberon Visitors Information Centre. Seats are strictly limited so please book early.
You’ll be treated to a great 4WD adventure to some of the more remote areas of the forests, where identification and foraging are at its best. See and learn about the area, enjoy the comfort of a luxury 4WD and have fun.
Forage, collect or simply photograph mushrooms in the wild. Take in all the sensations of the pine forests; the sights, the rich pine smell and the atmosphere. We think you'll love it.
Join us on a 4WD adventure that you'll talk about for years to come.
- This is a 4WD foraging adventure and is not suitable for children under 5 years of age
- It is advisable for Guests to bring a jacket, hat, sunscreen, water, wear enclosed shoes and bring any personal necessities
- Foraging is an individual pursuit and while your Guide will be there to assist and give you guidance on foraging procedures and how to avoid collecting the wrong ones, you are solely responsible for the mushroom collecting yourself. We recommend you visit the NSW Forestry Corporation website for further details on the collection of edible mushrooms.
- The tour will proceed if it is raining (which is good for mushroom growth), so please come prepared for wet weather which can occur from time to time in the mountain environment.
- Pine Forest foraging, 4WDing and a beautiful country drive
- Possible sightings of Kangaroos, Wallabies, Echidna, white and black Cockatoos, Possums
- Beautiful natural Australian flora and fauna
Important points to remember
We meet at the Oberon Visitor Information Centre carpark, 48 Ross St Oberon. Please bring your booking confirmation with you on the day. Please be ready 15 mins before departure.
We strongly recommend staying the night before your tour within a 50km radius of Oberon, especially if you are travelling from Sydney or the Blue Mountains. Traffic delays can be experienced on the mountain roads from Sydney, especially on weekends.
The tour cannot delay departure waiting for late arrivals.
We are not able to offer refunds if you do not make the departure time on the day.
A word about COVID
- Everyone will be required to check in on the Services NSW QR code
app (if required in NSW)
- If you are feeling unwell, please do not come on the tour
- You will be required to wear your face mask while in the vehicle
- We provide sanitiser in the vehicle but it is a good idea to bring
your own personal sanitiser as well.
This tour takes you deep into the Pine Forest around the Oberon area where bathrooms are not available so taking a bathroom break before departure is highly recommended.
There are bathrooms located across the road from the Oberon Visitor Information Centre in the Common.
Please ensure you allow plenty of time for a bathroom break before departure time.
Feeling the need for more Adventure while in the Oberon area?
Check out our great half day tours Departing Oberon
Got a Question? Contact us: email@example.com or call 0419 777 950